United Way of Southwest Alabama Safety Net Series: VITA Program and Year End | Committed to our community
The VITA program provides communities with free assistance with federal and state electronic filing. VITA works with community organizations to recruit and train volunteers to help individuals prepare their tax returns and to educate taxpayers about the tax credits they are entitled to. UWSWA also serves as a leader for the South Alabama Free E-Filing (SAFE) Coalition, a group of agencies providing assistance to the VITA repository.
- Households earning $ 58,000 or less annually
- People with Disabilities
- Taxpayers with limited command of English
- The Tax Council for the Elderly (TCE) is for taxpayers aged 60 and over
Statistics for the 2020 tax year as of June 1, 2021
- UWSWA 2020 Completed Returns 1056
- UWSWA 2020 Refunds $ 1,186,439.00
What to consider at the end of the year. Now is the time to start collecting documents for the income tax filing process.
- Create a folder or envelope in which you can collect all the necessary forms, letters, receipts, and other documents.
- New: Taxpayers should have received a letter regarding their third Economic Impact (Stimulus) Payment, Letter 1444-C. At the very least, they should know how much they received in April 2021 or later as a stimulus payment.
- New: People who have received advance child tax credit payments should receive a letter in January indicating the amount they received. Provide this letter to your tax preparer so they know how much child tax credit you need to claim on your tax return.
- Incorrectly reporting the Economic Impact Payment or Child Tax Credit payments received could delay your entire refund by several months.
- Usual tax documents are required, including forms W-2, 1099, 1098, all receipts for deductible items, university expenses, daycare expenses (including a letter from the daycare with its tax identification number ), etc.
- If you have received insurance from the health insurance market (Affordable Care Act), the market will send you a Form 1095-A which you must have to file your taxes and avoid an interruption in your health insurance coverage.
- If you would like a refund to be deposited directly to your bank account, we will need your bank routing number and account number. These are printed on your checks if you have them, and they are often available in your bank’s mobile app.
For more information on the VITA program, visit https://uwswa.org/our-work/our-programs/free-tax-preparation/ or call United Way 2-1-1 (888.421.1266)
All content Â© 2002-2021 Gray Television, Inc., WALA; Mobile, Alabama. (A station of Gray Media Group, Inc.). All rights reserved.